The Truth About Uninsured Motorist Coverage In California

With Uninsured Motorist Coverage You Know
You’re Covered

Uninsured motorist insurance protects you, the insured, and anyone else in your car. It will obtain for you an additional recovery if the at-fault driver’s insurance is insufficient to compensate you or your loved ones for all of your injuries. California does not require an auto owner to buy or carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. However, California does require that every car owner and driver have a minimum liability coverage of $15,000 per person with $30,000 total payments for any one accident. This is the California minimum required by law.

Unfortunately because of the economy and people not knowing any better, most people only buy the minimum coverage. It is wholly insufficient. If you are reading this article and have not been in an accident, please take our expert advice and immediately contact your insurance agent or your insurance company and purchase a minimum of $100,000 – $300,000 liability coverage, as well as a minimum of $100,000 uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage for you and your loved ones. We will explain.

Drivers With Minimum Coverage Considered Underinsured

Remember, because most people have the minimum coverage they are considered underinsured. If one of these underinsured motorists cause an accident with you or your loved ones, unless you have an uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, you will not be able to recover the full valve you are entitled to for your injuries. We see this time and time again. We do not want this to happen to you.

The standard Uninsured/ Underinsured coverage in California provides for you, the named insured, your wife or husband and all relatives which live in your household. It will also provide coverage to anyone else who is a passenger in your car and a permitted user or driver of the car. Uninsured or underinsured (UM or UIM) coverage is for yourself and the members of your family and all passengers and permitted users of your car. It applies when the injuries are greater than the at-fault party’s insurance . If it is available for pedestrians who are injured by automobiles as well as bicyclists who are injured by an automobile. It is also available and we have used it many times when there is an accident and the car who caused the accident is a hit and run and cannot be identified.

Minimum Recommended Insurance At Least $100,000 Uninsured Motorist Coverage

We recommend you contact your insurance agent to make certain you have at least $100,000 uninsured motorist coverage to protect yourself and your loved ones. Please do not be like the people we see in our law practice daily who do not find out until it’s too late that their insurance coverage is inadequate. That is why you must have at least $100,000 of Uninsured/ Underinsured motorist coverage. Please carefully examine your present insurance coverage. Make sure you have this coverage. If you have any questions, contact your insurance agent or insurance company. You may also wish to consider GAP insurance.

We have handled hundreds of cases involving Uninsured and Underinsured motorists’ claims to successful conclusion. We are Uninsured motorist experts. If you make an Uninsured motorist claim it does not raise your premiums because in California insurance rates are based on fault. If the accident is not your fault, you should not have to pay an increased insurance premium.

Contact Car Accident Lawyer

Please contact us if you or your loved one has an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim and you want our expertise. Remember, we have handled hundreds of these cases. There are time deadlines so you must act quickly. Insurance companies require certain events to occur within a certain period of time in order for the uninsured or underinsured motorist provision in your policy to be applicable. Do not delay. Contact us today. Call us at 1-800-718-4658. We have intake specialists available. We are contingency lawyers which means there is never any cost to you unless we first obtain a recovery.

Jeffrey Nadrich of Nadrich & Cohen is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley and received his law degree of University of California Hastings of the Law in San Francisco. Because of their success he and his law firm have grown to 14 offices throughout California handling auto claims and all aspects of personal injury. We have an office near you.