Women at Greater Risk for Injury in Car Accidents

Women more likely to be injured in a car accident.

A study conducted by the American Public Health Association suggests that female drivers are more likely to sustain serious injury in a car accident than men.

Researchers studied a survey of crash data from 1998 to 2008 to determine whether there was any correlation between gender and the likelihood of an injury in a car accident. According to the data, women accounted for 43% of all drivers, with the average driver being 36 years of age. Over 67% of crashes involved passenger cars while SUVs, light trucks and vans made up the remaining 33 percent.

The study results suggest that female drivers are more likely to sustain an injury in a car accident, even if they are wearing a seat belt. The female drivers who were involved in an accident while wearing their seat belt were also more likely to experience chest and spinal injuries than male drivers.

Researchers suggest that female drivers face a greater risk for injuries to the chest, spine and lower extremities than men due to the positioning of seat belts and other safety equipment. It is believed that the shorter stature of female drivers also plays a part in determining whether an injury will occur.

The results of this study should encourage female drivers to use extra caution when driving, particularly in California where the traffic fatality rate is highest. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), California lead the nation in traffic-related deaths in 2009 with 3,081 people dying in car accidents. Approximately half of these deaths occurred among victims who were wearing their seat belt at the time the accident occurred.

Even if you consider yourself to be a safe driver, you can’t always protect yourself from the negligence of others. A car accident caused by excessive speed, reckless behavior or the influence of drugs and alcohol can leave you and your loved ones facing serious or life-threatening injuries and potential financial devastation.

If you or a family member has been hurt or killed as a result of someone else’s carelessness, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries, including payment for medical bills, funeral costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. The key to successfully winning your case is contacting a qualified California car accident attorney to get the legal representation you need.

If a car accident has left you struggling emotionally, physically and financially, contact us today at 1-800-722-0765 to find out how we can help. Our Injury Hotline is available 24 hours a day and your initial consultation is absolutely free. We are dedicated to getting you the compensation you deserve and we charge no fee unless we recover a settlement on your behalf.